The not-so-beautiful beauty industry
I know we have been told that beauty care products would work their magic and make us look healthier, prettier and younger. But the truth is, most of the products available on the market right now are making us sick, ugly and older.
What I feel is that we took one step ahead in the beauty and healthcare industry and now we have to take two steps back in order to fix the mess and damage that all chemicals have caused and are causing to us and the environment.
Sorry in advance for the reality check here, but it’s like they say “better late than never”. Most of us are rethinking the way we eat, cutting down on the consumption of processed food and avoiding sugar and fat, but we are so unaware of what we are putting inside of our bodies. On average, we apply more than 200 different chemicals per day, well hidden in nice and fun packagings masquerading as “natural” and “botanical” ingredients when in fact its pure petroleum, sulfates, parabens, and many other toxic chemicals – this is because there is no legal definition for those words. The ugliest truth is that those products actually go to our blood system, even babies are being born already polluted. I mean, is it acceptable that 1/3 of all personal care products contain ingredients directly linked to cancer and proven to be affecting our reproduction and developmental process?
Statistics reveal that the European Union has banned more than 1,100 chemicals from its cosmetics while the United States, for example, has banned just 10, making a scary number of 89% of all beauty products that have not been assessed for safety in North America. With such alarming differences, there is a dire need for more authoritative regulation of the cosmetic industry, and also an even bigger need for companies that are founded on honesty, transparency, and integrity. All those chemicals are not even needed in order to perform, so why are they still being used?
MOST DANGEROUS INGREDIENTS TO AVOID:
- Parabens. Parabens are a whole family of chemicals -methylparabens, propylparabens, butylparabens, and ethylparabens. They are endocrine disrupters and suspected carcinogens;
- Phthalates. Three phthalates, di(2-ethylhexyl) phthalate (DEHP), di-n-butyl phthalate (DBP) and butylbenzyl phthalate (BBP) are classified in the European Union as reproductive toxicants;
- Fragrance. Fragrances are a mix of chemicals that are allowed into products without public disclosure (!!!);
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) and/or Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES). Is a harsh skin irritant and can be easily contaminated with 1,4-dioxane, which may cause cancer;
- Petrolatum. It also can be easily contaminated with 1,4-dioxane, which may cause cancer;
- BHA & BHT. They are suspected endocrine disruptors and may cause cancer;
- Formaldehyde. Formaldehyde is a highly toxic systemic poison that is absorbed by inhalation. The vapor is a severe respiratory tract and skin irritant and may cause dizziness or suffocation;
- PEG. Polyethylene Glycol Compounds are potential carcinogens and can dry out the skin;
- MEA, DEA & TEA. Those Ethanolamine Compounds are easily absorbed through the skin and accumulated in the body. They seem to inhibit brain development in baby mice. They have also been shown to cause spontaneous abortions in pregnant mice;
So… What should you do? Read the labels! Take a screenshot of this list and use it to help you. Do some research when you are shopping and avoid products with toxic chemicals.
At Feel Good Etc. we want to challenge the industry to overlook their principals, play on the safe side and put healthy products on the market. Click here to find some seriously good hair care products.